Sunday, November 21, 2010

Active Oliver

Ollie is a tornado these days - literally constant motion. He gets into everything and anything in no time at all and I feel like I spend my home time with him chasing him around the condo (an activity that makes me insane), putting pots back into cupboards, pulling lotions and deodorant out of the toilet, putting logs back in the fire, closing doors and re-hanging towels. I also spend lots of time pulling him out or rooms, out of closets or out of the dishwasher or dryer. This simple action often leaves him splayed on the floor half crying and half pouting. We also spend lots of time playing up/down up/down. He likes to be near me and see what I'm doing, whether it's tooth brushing, makup application, dishes, cooking or computer work, so there is lots of up/down. It's exhausting and there are lots of moments, particularly when Chris is gone, that I end up feeling a little crazy from the repetitive and monotonous chase. I hate those moments where I feel like I don't know what to do with him. His attention span is so short right now, so books, blocks or games last about 3 minutes and he's off again. I often just plain feel like I have no idea what to do with this kid! I think I am the best mom when I take him places, go places, play outside, so errands and explore, but I also don't want to over-plan his life and end up with a kid who goes from activity to class, though I totally get why parents do that! I do think there is a lesson for me in the downtime, choosing to just play, crawl around, walk around, BE in our home. I work diligently to have solid times when I avoid the computer or phone, to just BE with him.

In the midst of his tornado behavior I also see him growing. He's getting sillier by the day with much more understanding of how to make people laugh, how to make jokes and illicit laughter. I love the moments when I do catch him deep in thought, figuring something out, working hard to stack blocks or reading a book. He has a new shopping cart and he works very hard to pack as many items as he can into the cart on his condo shopping sprees. His mind is obviously expanding.

He repeats more and more words, even "Santa" and "Christmas" yesterday. I was trying to teach him to say "one" when he is asked his age, and I'd hold his finger up and say, "I'm ONE" and he'd respond, "Set go!!" Clearly his favorite phrase of the moment.


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket



No comments:

Post a Comment