Saturday, May 21, 2011

Dr. Linda Hoff, PhD, Mom, Grammy

My mom began her second graduate degree the Fall after my little sister moved to Oregon for college. It was a big leap for her to pursue a degree that she'd always wanted and felt she should have in order to continue her years of high ranking academic positions. It was grueling at times, for her, but also for my dad and our family. The pressures of doctoral work and research are amazing to me! She commuted 4 hours to Claremont once a week for 2 years, had an apartment away from my dad, and managed to keep a full time job as the Director of Education in Fresno while also in school AND spending time with both her daughters when the babies were born.

I am so proud of her! She completed her doctoral research on the topic of how universities select "master teachers" for student teachers, and how so often they are not picking the most qualified ones and all the ramifications that has on the new teachers entering the field of education. Seeing as Chris will student teach this Fall, it was a very appropriate and interesting study. She is so passionate about her work and truly cares for students. Her highly intuitive empathetic side pulls her out of the malaise of bureaucratic red tape and keeps her connected to the heart of the matters.

My mom is a role model to me - constantly working to balance her marriage, career, and family.

Go Dr. Mom!


Check out that hood!
Three doctoral stripes!

No comments:

Post a Comment