Thursday, August 5, 2010

Diverse beginnings

I took WALKING Oliver to our neighborhood park tonight and we both discovered how much more fun a park can be once you are foot-mobile! He just officially started walking last night and already he walked all over the playground, up and down stairs, ramps, and even a slide!

As soon as we arrived at the park I noticed how packed it was, but that's common in the City, especially in Albany Park. Immediately I also was happy to hear constant, "ay, el bebe, el bebe!, muy guapo, so cute, cuantos meses, ayy, los ojos, etc." I smiled, thanked everyone and did my best to make some Spanish smalltalk. As Ollie climbed a new apparatus I got a good glance around me and realized why he was such an attraction - he's white! They might as well have been saying, "a blonde boy, blue eyes, so pale!" And it was true, he was the ONLY blonde on the packed playground.

I was so pleased to see him interacting so happily with so many other kids. He walked right up to a Mom and her little girl playing a clapping game and literally climbed into her lap and started clapping as well. He was very warmly received.

Sometimes we miss our old neighborhoods, with Starbucks and restaurants around the corner, but on nights like this, I'm so grateful to be giving Ollie such a diverse start on life, even if it means we have to drive most places and can only walk to the Taqueria or falafel hut. I can only hope these memories, or at least the pictures, are creating the foundation for a life of equality and justice seeking.

My blondie


Summer in the City

No comments:

Post a Comment