Sunday, July 18, 2010

Running and Leading

I began running in 2006. When I crossed the finish line of my first 5K race I cried because it was such an incredible accomplishment for me, having been athletically challenged all my life and never even active at all. During that first race, in the lovely neighborhood of Ravenswood, I was totally inspired by a family I saw running all together. Mom was pushing a jogger stroller and Dad was cheering on his two young daughters. One girl gasped, "Daddy, I can't do it!" and he stopped and knelt with her and said, "of course you can honey, you're amazing and I'm right here with you!" (could have cried then too!) She picked her legs back up and finished with her whole family (and me.)

It was a clear vision that someday, I wanted to be the a role model to help my own kids lead active lives, in the outdoors, playing, running, biking, hiking, swimming, or sports (I'll figure out how to support organized sports somehow, perhaps with "Idiots Guide to Football".)

This morning I ran my second ever 10K, in a Women's Festival, but Chris and Oliver got up super early and came out to cheer me on. There is almost nothing that makes me happier than these types of moments - active, positive family togetherness. Ollie has now watched me in 3 races and ran in one himself with Dad pushing the stroller. I really hope that no matter how busy we get, how many excuses can be found, I can continue to be a positive role model for healthy living.
Before the race
Photobucket

My cheering squad!
Photobucket


Photobucket

Cloudy and humid morning on the lakefront
Photobucket

I did it! (Yes, I'm THAT red and THAT sweaty)
Photobucket

He got to nap first! Lucky baby.
Photobucket


2 comments:

  1. One of my memorable moments was the last 5K I did this spring. I had Cam in the stroller and one of the bystanders, an older woman, shouts to me "You're such a good mom!". At the time I just felt horribly guilty that I had shoved him in the jogging stroller AGAIN for my own selfish purposes. But, your post has helped me remember that by doing that kind a of stuff, it's just as much for him as it is for me.

    Way to go!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah - during the kids dashes this morning the announcer said, "tell your kids how much running means to you and help them become runners at the age of 3 until 83!"

    ReplyDelete