Friday, October 21, 2011

Self doubt

In the last weeks Oliver has shown the first signs of self-doubt with the lifelong statement, "I can't". I don't know where he learned this specifically nor that he always uses it properly. Clearly sometimes he means he doesn't WANT to do something, but more often than not it seems to reflect true self doubt. He's 2.5 years old and he's already learned that he is limited.

As it may seem, this was a bit of a heart breaking statement for his mom to hear. Often we've replied with, "Ollie, you CAN, you can do anything you want and it's ok to try!" It's an interesting moment to think about his future and all the challenges he has before him, not to mention all the parenting challenges I can barely fathom as of now.

My goddaughter isn't very adventurous because her self-awareness and fear of failure restricts her immediate desires. I get this, of course. I've had many things I've avoided in my life for fear of embarrassment, lack of skill or self doubt. I wonder if this is inherantly different with boys and girls and I wonder what I can do to build Oliver's confidence and to prepare myself for the inevitable failures?

Now, that's some castle! You did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment